Weight loss surgery in Tijuana Mexico – General Frequently Asked Questions
Do I qualify for Weight Loss Surgery?
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 31 and higher, or more than 100 pounds of overweight.
- Obesity related diseases, such as type II diabetes (T2DM), hypertension, sleep apnea and other respiratory disorders, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, lipid abnormalities, gastrointestinal disorders, or heart disease…
- Difficulty or inability to achieve a healthy weight loss sustained for a period of time with prior weight loss efforts.
How much weight will I lose after surgery?
Expected weight loss the first month after surgery is from 20 to 30 pounds. After the first month you can expect 8 to 12 pounds per month, of all guidelines are follow…
How do I apply for weight loss surgery?
Our doctors will evaluate your medical conditions and clear you for surgery within 24hrs. Please follow this link to apply for surgery: http://longtermvsg.com/apply-for-surgery-mexico
What does the package or price include?
- Ground transportation to and from the Facilities to the San Diego International Airport
- 3 day and 2 night stay at our facilities
- Necessary local transportation
- All pre-op testing and exams.
- All related surgical costs: surgeon’s fees, anesthesia, equipment, recovery house, and – nursing care.
- Meals included for patient.
Can I trust the Clinic Quality Standars?
Definitely! Our facilities in Tijuana Mexico are certified and fully equipped with latest technology in the industry to perform any bariatric procedure in a safe and comfortable environment.
Will the price effect the quality of medication and service?
No, in Long Term WLS / VSG Tijuana Mexico, we always offer the highest quality in our medical services, medical equipment and medical supplies. The health of our bariatric surgery patients is maintained with appropriate and premium medications from the best and most recommended pharmaceutical brands.
What are my options after failed weight loss surgery?
In cases when the patients do not succeed on their weight loss surgery we can offer you a “revision surgery”, we are specialized on this procedure which is highly recommended and designed to repair another bariatric surgery performed in the past. Some weight loss surgeries can fail for the lack of technique of other Doctors or not following the post-operating food guidelines…
Will I need plastic surgery for the surplus skin when I have lost a lot of weight?
That is not always the case. As a rule, plastic surgery will not be considered for at least a year or two after the operation. Sometimes the skin will mold itself around the new body tissue. You should give the skin the time it needs to adjust before you decide to have more surgery.
What’s the process to follow before and after the surgery?
- The night before:
Try to rest, that is VERY important, your last meal should be no later than 12 a.m. Just small sips of water to stay hydrated.
- Surgery Morning:
Once you arrive, one of our divers will pick you up at the sidewalk of the airport once you’ve picked up your luggage. The driver will already be in the airport at the time of your arrival. You will receive a call from the driver.
*Patients arriving a day before will be picked up from the airport and taken to the hotel, then picked up surgery morning from 9 to 10 am
You will be driven to the facilities and once you are here you will be prepared for surgery by our friendly nursing staff, afterwards you’ll have cardiology and pulmonary assessment by our cardiologist, you’ll have your blood and urine samples sent to the lab. Once your blood work is back you will be ready for surgery around 12 to 4 pm. After surgery you will rest and spend the night in the facilities.
- Second day:
Continue recovery at the Hospital or Bariatric Center where you will be taken care by our nursing staff.
- Third and last day:
You will be able to get ready and leave at around 11 a.m. and be taken to the airport to board your flight.
Patients undergoing Revision Surgery stay an extra day as part of their recovery.
*Patients staying extra time will be taken to the hotel of their choosing and be driven back the day of their departure at a convenient hour.
What is the size of my new stomach or pouch?
About 1 ounce, which is approximately the size of a small shot glass.
How soon can I start driving after surgery?
You are allowed to drive when you are no longer taking narcotics and have enough mobility to drive safe.
When can I return to work?
You may return to work as soon as you feel able as long as you are not required to do heavy lifting as part of your job. Typically 2-6 weeks for most desk jobs, and 6-8 weeks for manual labor jobs.
How soon Can I start walking, swimming, lifting weights…?
Always check with your clinician before beginning any exercise program:
- 1: You can start walking IMMEDIATELY!
- 2: Swimming varies… Do not start swimming until you have checked with a physician.
- 3: Lifting weights varies with each individual. But it’s recommended to start 6 weeks after surgery.
- 4: You can start aerobics approximately 6 weeks after surgery. Start slowly. Listen to your body.
- 5: Abdominal crunches; approximately 6-8 weeks.